This is why I wouldn’t do well as a politician. Somebody comes up to me and acts stupid, says stupid things and worse, then does stupid things; I if I acted as a politician, hoping to get a vote from them and their friends (hopefully not stupid also) I’d just have to smile and be ‘nice’. You start making somebody mad and they’re like a dumb bull in a china shop – no accounting how much damage they can do! Especially if they’re stupid AND have money to burn.
I just saw the stupidest thing you can imagine – right on Water Street. Why, it’s embarrassing. Even our visitors have to stare at it every time on their way to Plum Island and the Wildlife Preserve.
A gorgeous 17th century house with plastic, vinyl windows.
Now even Anderson Window has admitted that these cheap crappy things don’t last more than 10 to 15 years. Considering the cost of each of them, it usually takes 35-40 odd years to get your money recouped from the energy savings.
Well – Isn’t that what all the slick window salesmen are saying? Put in replacement windows and you’ll save energy. Right!?!
Let’s do some simple math using a particular home as an example: (I took this off the National Trust for Historic Preservation website. They, by the way, are not stupid.) Now the example used below is just a benchmark as some houses have less or more but the point is true regardless:
- 13 windows on the front of the house (in total 35)(Typical house is from 24 t 30 windows)
- $500 to $1000 for each replacement window unit.
- Total costs for new windows: $17,500 to $35,000. (This IS typical as listed by our building inspector for just this last summer.)
- Average savings gained from replacement windows (in comparison to similar, restored windows with storms): $25.00-$50.00 per month.
The payback will take about 60 years.
Since windows account for 10 to 25 percent of heat loss, the payback and time to recoup your investment in terms of energy savings could take between 40 and as much as 200 years, based on various studies. A study from Vermont shows the savings gained from replacement windows as opposed to a restored wooden window with a storm is only $.60.
THE PROBLEM: MOST REPLACEMENT WINDOWS WILL NOT LAST AS LONG AS 40 YEARS, MUCH LESS OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AND MANY ARE BEING REPLACED (CONFIRMED BY ANDERSON WINDOW) ONLY AFTER 10 YEARS OF SERVICE.*
* I have an historical home with beautiful windows but three (3), yes just three(3), were replaced by a previous owner with these ‘modern’ windows. I’ve had to replace all three as they have disintegrated. My other ‘old’ windows? Still going strong!